Sister Esther Newport was born in Clinton, Indiana and was a well known painter, educator, lecturer, sculptor, writer and illustrator. A very well educated artist, she studied at the Art Institute of Chicago, at St. Mary of the Woods College, at Syracuse University at St. Mary’s College, Notre Dame, and with private instructions. Sister Esther was the head of the Art Department at St. Mary of the Woods, from 1937 – 1964. During the course of her career, she also served on many committees, contributed to several publications, and gave numerous lectures.
(1901 - ?)