Henry Bayley Snell was one of the earliest artists to settle in the Delaware River Valley of Bucks County. Affiliated with the New Hope School of American Impressionism, he was known both as a painter of marine and landscape subjects and as a prominent instructor of art. Born in Richmond, England, Snell came to New York City at the age of 17. While studying at the Arts Student League, Snell supported himself by working in the blueprint department of an engineering firm, and by producing marine scenes for a lithography studio. Snell also devoted himself to teaching. In 1888, Snell married artist Florence Francis. The following year, the pair first came to New Hope to visit William Langson Lathrop, a prominent American tonalist painter and founder of the New Hope School. Settling in New Hope in 1900, Snell continued to teach until 1943. During that period, he traveled abroad extensively, frequently with his students. It was his reputation both as a teacher and a painter that lured many artists to the New Hope Area.
Memberships: Allied Artists Association American Watercolor Society Fellowship of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts National Academy of Design Salmagundi Club
Collections: Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York